Earthcare St Kilda is a non-profit volunteer group that works in partnership with local government, state government bodies and specialists to improve the natural resources of the City of Port Phillip, from Port Melbourne to Elwood.
We do what we can, where we are
Earthcare volunteers come from the City of Port Phillip and further afield to work on a number of practical marine and terrestrial projects. These projects are aimed at protecting the local natural environment, as well as increasing the diversity and extent of indigenous flora and fauna.
Earthcare St Kilda volunteers also facilitate opportunities for local residents to experience and learn more about the wide array of plants and animals with which we share our lives, and to join in projects which are designed to protect and improve the local environment.
Current Earthcare St Kilda projects include:
- Monitoring the health of Little Penguin and Rakali populations.
- Providing a Penguin Guide service each night during the day light saving period to educate visitors and minimise the impact of visitors on the penguin colony.
- Revegetation of foreshore and reserves.
- Reducing the impact of Northern Pacific Seastars around St Kilda Pier and Brighton Sea Baths.
- Quarterly removal of litter from the Little Penguin colony on the St Kilda Breakwater.
- Seagrass surveys of St Kilda Harbour.
- Surveys of local fauna, both resident and transient.
- Friends of Elster Creek, protecting and improving the environment along Elster Creek and Elwood Canal.
- Public education for school groups, visitors and other interested parties.
- Submissions to government on development proposals which may impact the natural environment of the City of Port Phillip.
Where required, projects are undertaken with the approval of and permits from the relevant government bodies such as Parks Victoria and the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning.
Members receive regular emails and newsletters about Earthcare St Kilda activities.
For more details on how to become an Earthcare member and access to the membership form, click here.
If you would like to make a tax deductable donation to support Earthcare St Kilda's activities then please contact us via email@example.com.
The events for the next three months are shown below.
Northern Pacific Seastar Removal
St Kilda Pier
Friends of Elster Creek
Creek Clean Up @ Elwood Canal at Glenhuntly Road bridge
Breakwater Clean Up
St Kilda Pier
Revegetation - National Tree Day
Canterbury Road Urban Forest, near junction of Langridge Road, Middle Park
Annual General Meeting
Port Phillip Ecocentre
Post: PO Box 287 Elwood VIC 3184
Our Winter newsletter is now available!
About the Seal the Loop bins on St Kilda Pier for fishermen to put their used fishing line in.
Like us on Facebook and receive regular updates on Earthcare St Kilda activities.